Salmonella suspected in green onions in Ont. – Yahoo! Canada News
By The Canadian Press
OTTAWA – The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is warning consumers not to consume some green onions sold in the Toronto area since they may be contaminated with salmonella.
The public warning was issued Saturday but has been expanded to include additional distribution information.
The affected green onions were sold unwrapped with a rubber band. there is no lot code sticker, UPC or product name on the individual bunch of onions.
The product was sold on July 30, 31 and Aug. 1 from Highland Farms Supermarkets, at the following locations in Ontario:
4750 Dufferin Street, North York,
3300 Rutherford Road, Vaughan,
850 Ellesmere Road, Scarborough,
148 Bennett Road, Scarborough,
50 Matheson Boulevard, Mississauga.
CFIA is aware of an ongoing investigation into an outbreak of salmonella oranienburg in Ontario.
Food contaminated with salmonella may not look or smell spoiled.
Consumption of food contaminated with these bacteria may cause salmonellosis, a food borne illness.
In young children, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems, salmonellosis may cause serious and sometimes deadly infections.
In otherwise healthy people, salmonellosis may cause short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, vomiting, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhoea. Long-term complications may include severe arthritis.
Popularity: 1% [?]
- Potentially Deadly Salmonella Contamination Alert… Major Egg Recall in Several States — UPDATE: More Brands Added to Egg Recall List « Frugal Café Blog Zone
- Massive Egg Recall Expanded After Salmonella Outbreak – Health, Fitness, and Nutrition
- “Naked Gun” actor Leslie Nielsen dead at 84 – Yahoo! Canada News
- So. Nevada reports increase in salmonella enteritidis
- Canada: We own the podium, say Canadians – AFP News : Vancouver …