Strawberries Alcohol = A Healthier Happy Hour
Next weekend is Cinco de Mayo, and the refried beans, chili relleos and margaritas will be flowing. not exactly a healthy celebration, so pack a pocketful of antacids and drop a few strawberries in your margarita.
According to new research published in the Journal of The Science of Food and Agriculture (you should see the centerfold this month), the antioxidant capacity of strawberries can be significantly enhanced when they are combined with ethanol, the type of alcohol found in rum, vodka, tequila and other spirits. those antioxidants attack free-radicals that can cause cancer, arthritis and heart disease.
I’m usually not a big fan of a lot of fruit in my drinks, but I’m game if you can toast your way to better health. (As long as you don’t count the damage to your liver.)
Here’s a couple of simple strawberry-inclusive drink recipes from the California Strawberry Commission for a margarita and a mojito you can celebrate Mexican independence with next weekend. (Yes, I know the mojito is a Cuban drink, but go with it.)
• 4 oz frozen sliced California strawberries in syrup, partially thawed
• 1 1/2 oz tequila
• 1 oz lime juice or sweet and sour mix
• 1/2 oz triple sec
• 1 scoop ice
In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend smooth. Pour into stemmed glass rimmed with salt and sugar. Garnish with a whole strawberry and a lime slice.
The Red Mojito
• 1 oz fresh lime juice (about 1 lime per 1 oz)
• 5-6 fresh mint leaves
• 1 3/4 oz white rum
• 2 oz strawberry juice (see recipe below)
• Ice cubes
• 3 ounces club soda (or to taste)
Combine lime juice and mint leaves in the bottom of a highball glass; use a wooden spoon to muddle mint. Stir in rum and strawberry juice. fill glass with ice cubes and top with club soda. Stir. Garnish glass with a lime slice and a whole strawberry.
• 1 (16 oz) package frozen California strawberries with sugar, thawed
• 2 teaspoons lemon or lime juice
This recipe may be made up to 1 hour in advance. place thawed berries, including juice in a very fine-mesh strainer or chinois. Push through as much juice as possible. Discard berries. Add lemon or lime juice to strawberry juice. makes about 1 cup.
- Rise and Dine! Yummy Tummy Smoothie For this week’s breakfast recipe, I decided to try a…
- Bracelet monitors wearer’s alcohol use Some DUI offenders in Multnomah County get help overcoming their…
- Join us for happy Hour in the Big Apple — Delivering Happiness This Friday, virtually join Tony, co-host Jenn Lim, and special…
- Lindsay Lohan ditches alcohol for healthy ‘Kombucha’ tea By Hannah HargraveLast updated at 10:55 AM on 28th may…
- Cinco de Mayo Fun Facts 1. Cinco de Mayo NOT Mexican Independence Day. Cinco de…
Related posts brought to you by Yet another Related Posts Plugin.
Popularity: 1% [?]
No related posts.